Texas Guy Passes Away After Eating Raw Oysters Because Of Shellfish Bacteria

Texas Guy Passes Away After Eating Raw Oysters Because Of Shellfish Bacteria | The Lifesciences Magazine

Health officials reported that a guy in Texas who ate raw oysters at a restaurant later passed away from a bacterial infection. Dr. Philip Keiser of the Galveston County Local Health Authority claims that a guy in his 30s from Galveston with underlying medical conditions was the most recent victim of the shellfish bacterium infection.

He experienced issues with his liver. He also had a few other issues, and he was prescribed medication to suppress his immune system, according to Dr. Keiser, who spoke to FOX 26. It so happened that his health issues made him particularly vulnerable to a severe Vibrio vulnificus infection.

Man dies from rare infection after eating raw oysters, health officials say

He consumed a number of raw oysters from a restaurant on August 29, according to officials, and was later admitted to the hospital on August 31. On Labour Day weekend, he passed away. Authorities have not disclosed the man’s identity or the name of the eatery, but they have stated that they are trying to find the bacteria’s source.

The raw oysters were actually taken off the shelf at the restaurant where he was eating. The state is really analysing them to see if we can detect the bug in a specific lot of raw oysters since they have tags attached that allow us to identify the lots,” Keiser added.

Vibriosis is a bacterial infection that can result in fever, chills, cramps, and nausea. Although the bacterium, which has a fatality rate of 33%, typically only causes death in those with compromised immune systems, it is still to blame for 95% of seafood-related fatalities.

The bacterium, which is typically prevalent in warm seas during the summer, cannot be spread from one person to another. Symptoms for infected patients usually appear 12 to 72 hours after consumption, and they often do so suddenly.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention advises avoiding raw shellfish and food that has come into contact with raw shellfish, avoiding swimming in brackish water with open cuts, and washing your hands properly before and after handling shellfish to reduce your risk of developing viviosis. According to the CDC, over 80,000 Americans contract vibriosis annually, and about 100 of them pass away as a result.

Share Now